Interested in
Positions?
Jobs Available!
Get Started Today!
Job Title
Zip Code

Skip to Results
 
Sign in now for FREE access
to all our member resources.

Current Member New Member

Email:
Password:

OR

Proceed directly to your
search results

Resource: Career Advice
What To Do When You've Got a Job Offer Dilemma
Monday, May 21, 2012

Having multiple job offers might sound like a dream come true. For some, it can be a nightmare when you hear back from one job before you hear back from the one you were really waiting for.

This can be a tricky situation because you don't want to tarnish your professional image when turning down a job offer. You might be tempted to accept the first thing that comes along, but refrain from doing so if you haven't heard back from other preferred choices.

Once you commit to one job, there's no turning back. Going back on your word after accepting the offer for one job can damage your chances of getting other offers from companies in the same industry. No matter what, it looks bad and leaves a bad impression on any and all hiring managers.

Companies usually won't wait for your decision since they can just as easily find another candidate to immediately fill the position. Contact the first company and tell them that you are very interested in the job but need some time to think it over. Ask when they will need a response. In this case, companies will generally give you at least a few days.

They will get the hint that you're waiting to hear back from other places but the longer you wait the more they will doubt your sincere interest and in turn become less interested in hiring you.

You'll need to immediately contact your preferred job choice and find out when they will have a decision. Explain your situation to them and emphasize that they are your first choice. If they are interested in hiring you they might speed up the process for offering you the position.

If they tell you that they can't give you an expedited decision, this can make a difficult situation even tougher. Weigh out the pros and cons of both choices.

Is giving up the first company's offer worth waiting to hear back from the other company on the chance that you may or may not get an offer? Or would it be better to take the first offer while you can while knowing you might have gotten the job you really wanted if you had just waited it out?

At some point in the future you may have another opportunity to seek out employment at your preferred company going back on your word for any company will ruin things for you at almost every company.

In the end, the choice is yours and depends on what you feel is right for you. Make sure to keep all parties' best interests are taken into consideration and your decision may be a little easier to make.